Published on and the Epoch Times on January 18, 2019

Q & A.


I Was Denied the Right to Become a U.S. Citizen Because I Voted, I Have Proof to Show I Was Tricked into Doing So.

I have 30 days to make an appeal.  What to do?

Mr. Lee Answers:

You can make an administrative appeal to U.S.C.I.S. on form N-336 Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings. U.S.C.I.S. policy on illegal voting depends upon the election law. If the election law penalizes the actual act of voting, the fact that a person has actually voted is sufficient to establish that he or she has voted unlawfully. However, if the election law penalizes the act of voting only upon an additional finding that the individual acted “knowingly” or “willfully,”, U.S.C.I.S. states that adjudicating officers cannot conclude that an applicant voted unlawfully until they assess the circumstances surrounding the voting, the applicant’s credibility, and the documentary evidence.


What Happens if I Don't File Form I-751, and Go Back to My Home Country Before the 90-days Period For Good?

Do I still have to come to a court hearing? We are not yet divorced, but separated.

Mr. Lee answers:

Although not a guaranteed solution to avoiding court, if you intend to go back to your home country for good, you may wish to write a letter to the Texas Service Center since you live in Florida and you would be filing an I-751 application to that service center as it has jurisdiction over Florida. You can explain your circumstances, that you will not be remaining in the US, and perhaps give some proof such as an air ticket of your intent to depart. Upon your departure, you can also inform the Center that you have departed and give them proof of such, e.g. copy of passport showing entry into your home country.  The address of the Texas Service Center for I-751's is:   

U.S.C.I.S. Texas Service Center
PO Box 851488
Mesquite, TX 75185-1488


Can I Stay in the U.S. for Leisure From June - Oct 1st Under B2 Visa Until H-1B Takes Effect?

I’m currently dating a US citizen, I am a Canadian citizen. I’m graduating from my M.Sc in Canada in June. I've read that once the H1B is approved and your visa is stamped (hoping all goes well), that you can only enter the US 10 days prior to employment start (Sept 20th for Oct 1st start for h1b) Could I apply for a B2 visa to stay with my boyfriend until my H1B takes effect? Something like June - Oct 1st? Im aware I have to do my interview and visa stamping in Canada, I can take a trip for that. But is it possible to just take trips and re-enter under B2 visa? And once everything is stamped, does the H1B visa stamp replace B2? Or is there a conversion involved. 

Mr. Lee answers:

As you are a Canadian, you do not require a visa to enter the United States for visiting purposes. If you have a valid reason for being in the US for visiting purposes such as visiting with your boyfriend, you can explain that to the inspecting officer upon your entry with a Canadian passport. Similarly Canadians are not required to have H-1B visas put into their passports. At the appropriate time, you can approach the port of entry with your I-797 H1B approval and request admission into the US to take up your H-1B position. You may of course have to explain what you were doing in the United States from June-October 1. 





Copyright © 2003-2019 Alan Lee, Esq.
The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of the Law Office of Alan Lee or establish an attorney-client relationship.


  View Alan Lee's profile

 View Alan Lee's LinkedIn profileView Alan Lee's profile