Published on and the Epoch Times on December 7, 2018

Q & A.


What Category of Legal Expertise Should I Look For in An Attorney to Represent Me For A Charge Levied Against Me for a TSA Airport Security Issue?

In September, I was stopped by airport security when the body scanner showed a small utility knife blade in my cell phone protective case. I put it there in order to affix my cell phone to a cell phone mounting magnet that I have glued to my car dashboard, so I can see the GPS screen when I'm driving. This was an innocent mistake of forgetfulness, I chose the blade only because it was thin enough to fit, and still be effective. I affixed it a year before I even knew I'd be flying, and forgot about it. I have significant memory problems due to severe chemo therapy I endured in 2010, when I had stage four neck cancer. I am officially disabled, partly due to these memory problems. I had already flown twice, a few days prior and was on my way home, when this happened. I cooperated fully, provided my background as a business and community leader and a candidate for the US House of Rep. in 1992.I am concerned that if I pay the fine I'll be deemed "guilty" and have limited rights. 

Mr. Lee answers:

I believe that if the TSA was looking to prosecute you, it would likely have done so by this time. That being said, any action would likely be of a criminal nature or border on the criminal and so I imagine that you would probably look for a criminal defense attorney. 



Where Can I Find the I-94 Number On The Visa?

Mr. Lee answers:

The I-94 number is not on the visa. It is given to a person upon arrival in the US by Customs and Border Protection. You can access the number along with your entry record by going to https// you entered in May 2013 and later in any legal manner other than by land. Prior to that time, physical I-94 cards were given to all legal nonimmigrant entrants to the US with the numbers on the cards. 


Selective Service

I am US citizen and came to US on a F-1 visa in January, 2000. When I came I was 25 years told and did not register for selective service as I was on a full-time F-1 Visa. I turned 26 in September, 2000. I was on a Full-time F-1 student in spring, 2000 and changed university and took part-time course work during summer 2000 in another university and again changed to a different university in Fall, 2000 and completed my graduate degree. I was in legal status in F-1 visa for 3 years before changing my status to H-1B. Now I got federal offer and they are asking for evidence to prove why I have not registered for selective service. I have provided copy of my F-1 visa and enrollment dates from universities I attended. In Summer I enrolled only for one month. Wanted to find out if I am in legal compliance with selective service. 

Mr. Lee answers:

You are legally in compliance with selective service law and should be able to obtain verification from the agency that an individual who is in valid nonimmigrant status in the US at the age of 26 is not required to register for selective service. All other individuals including those who are illegal should register. 




Copyright © 2003-2018 Alan Lee, Esq.
The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of the Law Office of Alan Lee or establish an attorney-client relationship.


  View Alan Lee's profile

 View Alan Lee's LinkedIn profileView Alan Lee's profile